It’s that time of year, again – stores have replaced backpacks and notebooks with pool noodles and sunscreen. With all of the excitement of the end of another school year and the beginning of summer break, there also comes some safety concerns with kids staying home alone over the summer. ImOn wants to relieve some of your stress with these summer safety tips from The National Safety Council:
- Stay in touch: Call or text children throughout the day to ask how they are and what they are doing. Also, ask your child to check in before they leave the house and again when they return. You may also want to ask a neighbor or family member to stop by and check in on them during the day. .
- Keep kids connected: Post important contact phone numbers where kids can see them. Include 911, parent’s work and cell phones, doctor’s offices, and nearby neighbors or relatives. You may also want to write your home address and phone number on the list, to make sure they don't forget them in a moment of panic.
- Set firm rules: Make it clear what children are allowed to do and not to do when home alone. Can they have friends over? Can they use the stove? Can they leave the house? You may also want to have guidelines on TV and computer time usage too.
- Practice an emergency plan: Teach children how to dial 911 and when is it appropriate to do it. Practice with children what they should do in case of fire, injury, or other emergencies. Also, ask questions like “What should you do if someone is trying to get into the house?” or “If you get hurt, what should you do?” Make sure they also know what to do in case of severe weather. This includes what county you live in, the difference between a weather watch and warning, and where to seek shelter.
- Childproof your home: Remove or safely store in locked areas dangerous items like guns, knives, power tools, razor blades, ammunition, alcohol, prescription medicines, and other objects that can cause injury.
For more safety tips visit - http://www.ncpc.org/topics/violent-crime-and-personal-safety/copy_of_home-alone
Keeping all of these tips in mind, you may consider utilizing ImOn HomeSecure™, your local home security and automation solution. With ImOn HomeSecure™ you are always connected with your kids! Your system can be set up to send you text and email alerts every time the garage door or front door opens. Or the wireless cameras can send you live video of activity in and around your house. You can also eliminate the worry of your kids getting locked out of the house with an automatic deadbolt lock. ImOn HomeSecure will help to give you peace of mind when you are not there. Visit www.ImOn.net/HomeSecure to learn more about securing your home today!